Links

Friday, July 8, 2011

This Is Just To Say (and Parody) - William Carlos Williams and Brian McGackin

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


The above, one of the most famous William Carlos Williams poems, is a classic poem.  That's why, when my friend Andrew shared a brilliant parody of it with me (which is now probably my favorite parody poem of all time) I felt compelled to post the original and the parody.  And now, the parody:

I have finished
the beer
which was in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for Friday

Forgive me
this girl came over
so sweet
so hot


Apart from the great comedic value, the parody is a brilliant re-creation of the original, maintaining a lot of the same lines, even, while totally transforming the tone and meaning.  Absolutely fantastic.  Nothing too deep from me tonight, just an appreciation of some brilliant parody work.

2 comments:

  1. There is a book of poetry for kids titled "this is Just to Say:poems of apology and forgiveness" by Joyce Sidman. In the parody of the Williams poem, a kid apologizes to his teacher for stealing the jelly donuts out of the teachers' room fridge. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get all your favorite alcoholic drinks on Duty Free Depot!

    All the popular brand name drinks for unbelievable low price tags.

    ReplyDelete