Links

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I Have To Tell You - Dorothea Grossman

I have to tell you,
there are times when
the sun strikes me
like a gong,
and I remember everything,
even your ears.









This wonderful short poem from Dorothea Grossman feels like a natural companion to yesterday's Raymond Carver poem.  This captures the wonderful, heartbreaking feeling of remembering every detail of someone you loved.  I like that the poem avoids clich├ęs.  It's not a lightning strike that jogs memory, but the sun.  The memory's strike is deep and resonant, like a gong.  The memory reverberates through the entire body, even your ears. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog but you've got the poet's name wrong here I think - isn't it Grossman rather than Parker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my great embarrassment, you're right! Thank you for the correction. Dorothea Parker is a great poet in her own right, though, I must've gotten them confused.

      Delete