Links

Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't - Richard Brautigan

I feel horrible. She doesn't
love me and I wander around
the house like a sewing machine
that's just finished sewing
a turd to a garbage can lid.


The images, humor, and sentiment in this great poem by Richard Brautigan are all held together by enjambment.  Enjambment is when the end of a line runs into the next, often creating functionally two sentences or meanings.  They are the bread and butter of this poem, its substance.  A few examples:

"I feel horrible.  She doesn't."
"I feel horrible.  She doesn't love me."
"I wander around the house"
"I [am] like a sewing machine that's just finished"

etc etc

The poem also has the delightful gross out image, "like a sewing machine that's just finished sewing a turd to a garbage can lid."  That's quite messy, I'd imagine.  I love it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete