Links

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Confessions of a Recycled Shopping Bag - John Yau

I used to be a plastic bottle

I used to be scads of masticated wattle

I used to be epic spittle, aka septic piddle

I used to be a pleasant colleague

I used to be a radiant ingredient

I used to be a purple polyethylene pony

I used to be a phony upload project

I used to be a stony blue inhalant

I used to be a family-size turquoise bottle

I used to be a domesticated pink bubble

I used to be a pleasant red colleague

I used to be a beaming cobalt emollient

I used to be a convenient chartreuse antidepressant


Humor is always an effective means of making us examine the world around us.  It's truly remarkable how much of the world around is is recycled, things collected from bits of other things, made new.  The catalog presented here is varied and one can't help but feel, somewhat absurd.  It's hard to read without laughing, I think.  I'm not sure if there is much deeper meaning here, in the individual items presented, the order in which they are presented, or why they were chosen at all.  If you've got any ideas, let me know!

1 comment: